Well, might as well make this blog consistent with yet ANOTHER 'we did *this*, and then we did *this*' update. I make no apologies, I'm feeling this type of straight-forward information sharing with extra pictures. Very old school/full circle or something.
Reasons this time of year is fantastic:
1. Impromptu walks to get FroYo after dinner. Still warm enough to walk outside as a family (without a gazillion layers and additional curse words in the winter). Still warm enough to enjoy frozen yogurt (always). It's not so hot that one wants to die from pushing a double stroller. Of course, Truman and Cecelia both wanted to ride their scooters on the way home and Porter wanted to scream at me while standing up and facing backwards in the BOB.
Truman created this and could not finish it, blasphemy.
Oh boy, we are so in trouble with this fatty.
Heart eyes, three kids, blah blah blah
2. Also, every Fall I want to chop off my hair. I pulled the trigger two years ago and went super short, last year I was in a newborn baby haze, but this year I'm getting the itch again. I've been growing my hair out ever since that pixie haircut two years ago and it was SUCH a pain and super annoying to constantly feel like I had a mullet in process of getting it longer. And I really do love ponytails, and I know Nate really does not like my hair that short at all. BUT. I'm sort of over my hair at the moment, like woah.
Anyway, I had my stylist cut 'sort of' bangs a few weeks ago. I mostly wore them to the side, but I needed to do something about the weird hair regrowth issue at my hair line and that helped a little. And then the other day I couldn't get them to go to the side correctly, so I brushed them straight down and trimmed them to be a 'real' bang. It's kind of addicting to keep cutting them but I *think* I like them. I don't know yet, jury is still out. If I could wear them straight down and also have the rest of my hair in a real top knot, I'd be happy but the back isn't quite long enough to make that a reality. A lower pony tail is all I've got for now.
Enough hair talk, OMG, but Fall makes me want to CHOP it off again and pray that Nate still finds me attractive;)
3. I love Fall because my baby is not a baby anymore. And he's changed SO much in the past year!! I choose to think about all of the good parts of this change and nothing too sad, okay?
4. This is an awesome time of year because Truman is back in school and learning so much. He is gigantic, so smart, and is learning to read. For instance, part of the 'book' he made at school includes a story about Truman as a baby. It starts with the baby (sometimes spelled 'baby') in a cradle, then a crib, then a bed, and then finally in a highchair. He spelled this all out by ear including the words 'the end'. I have never seen the word 'end' spelled quite this way before!! So adorable.
5. Fall means soccer season right now (for the next several years possibly?). Truman had an 8:00 am game on Saturday which was painfully early, but it was a cool and overcast day and pretty much perfection. Some parents brought everyone coffee, donuts, the kids had snacks, and everyone was pretty excited about the entire ordeal. I'm sure in a few more weeks we'll all be in worse moods but this day was fun.
6. This has nothing to do with fall, but Cecelia didn't nap today for the first time in....ever? Hold me, I'm scared that this means the end of her 2-3 hour naps. She was mostly fine after just playing in her bed for a solid 45 minutes, and was happy to help me clean out the van during the rest of Porter's nap time. BUT, dinner time and bedtime were both horrendous for poor Cecelia. The level of whine was out of this world, meltdowns galore, etc. She sure is cute! Now keep napping, little one!
7. Also nothing about Fall, but this guy is going through some separation anxiety with me. As in, if I leave the kitchen and go into the basement he will scream 'mama mama mama'. When I left him with Nate to take the big kids to the dentist, Porter freaked out and was banging on the back door while yelling my name. Drop offs at Lori's have not been good, he won't leave my arms to go into anyone else's willing arms, and he is really just kind of obsessed with me. Very flattering but also not possible for us to be together 24/7 buddy. Thanks for saying 'cheese' for my phone when I snap your picture, though.
8. Fall = fire pit and s'more season! We had a few neighbors over for s'mores and drinks last night. Amazing, despite the numerous mosquito bites Truman, Cecelia, and myself endured. I thought it was too cold for those buggers but I guess not.
9. Sunday school, and then the playground after! Truman can now do a full set of monkey bars and Cecelia is rocking her pink cowboy boots with tights and a top knot non-stop.
10. I'm getting a sister-in-law (finally!!). Nate's brother officially proposed to Brittany and we are all SO stinking excited! The wedding will be next summer and Oregon and I teared up when I saw how happy they are in this picture. Weddings! I still love the crap out of them, and can't wait to have Brittany as another Mrs. Goolia ;)
11. And finally, I love this time of year because of the stereotypical Fall Family Fun activities such as apple picking. We didn't even attempt to go last year with itty bitty Porter, and the year before that I remember getting all ready to go and then T and C were melting down so we just skipped it. It might have been three years since we went to our favorite little low key place then, and we managed to go today! Highlights include Truman using my big camera almost the entire time, Cecelia freaking out over bees on the stomped apples on the ground, and Porter rubbing his eye so hard I thought it was going to swell shut. We also picked five pumpkins, a whole bag of gourds, and a boat load of apples so overall it was a big win. Just one of those things that is 'fun' with kids but also really a lot of work and kind of stressful and complete with a lot of whining. It was a short visit but just the right amount of time for us all!
The much-anticipated family shot I demanded. Nobody is ultra happy here but Truman's tourist status makes it all better.
'Really juicy' apples
She wasn't too enthused about being an apple picker
This guy was, for a bit! Also looking mighty old, right?
Another apple. I love those curls so much.
These two in all of their glory.
Then Truman took over the picture-taking, and surprisingly nailed it!
'I want to take a picture of all of our apples.'
'Smile for me, Porter!'
Porter feeding me without being asked.
I got the camera back just briefly.
Such a pretty time of year.
Found a rock in the gourd field.
Then Truman took over again and this is when Porter's eye was bugging him, plus the look on Cecelia's face is classic.
'I need at least one picture of the three kids before everyone is melting down even more.'
The big guys.
Sitting on pumpkins and eating apples.
My crew, real life smiles right there. I love these guys more than words.
Fall is great, life is good, pictures are fun. THE END (the uind).