Back to baking and desserts, since they are seriously my favorite recipes ever.
Many years ago, my blog friend Darci shared a recipe for her favorite chocolate chip cookies. Since this was back in 2009 before either of us had children, I made them a few times and filed my hand written chicken-scratched recipe paper away in a recipe book. Then one time recently I found the beloved paper, with smears of vanilla and butter and the simple title of 'Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever' written at the top. Hmmm, I was making another favorite over and over again, but wanted to see if my previous acclaim held true.
I changed a few things with the original recipe (less flour, added M&Ms, added salt sprinkles on top) and sure enough---seriously amazing. Like, 'eat all of the dough until I am nearly ill' amazing. The kids like to help me make these since we use the Kitchen Aid (the other recipe I was using does not use a mixer, but does use melted butter---I should do a post on those someday, too). You should absolutely try these the next time you want to devour an amazing cookie. Then come back here and tell me if you love them or if I'm nuts for thinking they are the best.
See? Are you drooling yet?
Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever:
-1 cup of butter (refrigerated is fine)
-1 cup of brown sugar
-1/2 cup of white sugar
-2 eggs, room temp if possible
-1 tsp vanilla
-2 2/3 cups of flour (this is my own personal preference for amount of flour)
-1 tsp baking soda
-3/4 tsp salt
-1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
-1 cup of M&Ms
-a bit of kosher flake salt
The process: (preheat to 350 degrees, ungreased cookie sheets)
1. Cream the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar together in the mixer
2. Add eggs one at a time until creamy
3. Add vanilla
4. In another medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients together (flour, baking soda, salt)
5. Pour in the dry mixture to your mixer with wet stuff
6. Stop the mixer and add the chocolate chips and M&Ms.
7. Bake for about 10 minutes or until you find them to be the perfect amount of dough versus crispy. I love doughy, barely-done cookies but Nate likes his crunchy. I usually do a dozen of each to keep us satisfied. Also, I have used my new silicone baking sheets for these and actually prefer them baked straight on the cookie sheet.
8. When you pull them out of the oven, jam a few extra M&Ms and/or chocolate chips into the tops to make them extra fancy before they cool. Also sprinkle a bit of kosher salt on each cookie. This is my new favorite thing to do with all cookie recipes---surprisingly delicious and a great mix of sweet with salt.
Enjoy!! (not sure why my two pictures look very different, probably because of the silicone baking sheets versus none. Both were amazing, trust me.)