Why I'm afraid of labor...

....because there is a strong possibility that our baby is going to be ginormous. Nate and I are both tall and sturdy people in our current state. I was born weighing about 7 pounds...pretty standard, nothing out of the ordinary (besides my cone head and black mohawk, because those were totally rad.)

But Nate? He weighed exactly 10 lbs and 11 ounces. No freaking joke. His head was so big they measured him for hydrocephalus (water on the brain) and I can't help but feel pity for poor Lois as she birthed this monster.

Would you like visual evidence?

Please follow my guidance for the picture below.
Start by looking at your far right at the adorable little baby born in August 1981. Actually, all of these babies were born then because their mothers all went to the same Lamaz class and were reunited after exiting from those wombs.

So anyway, the little guy on the far right? Adorable.
Next comes little baby in yellow having a hard time with neck strength.
Then the little bugger who's crying up a storm.
I can only imagine the baby in pink is a teeny little girl, and she is TOO cute.
Dude up next is checking out little girl.
Then comes a cute little bugger in overalls of some sort and dark hair.

Aren't they all just so teeny and little and cute?

But next, second from the left, comes one gigantic, fat baby with a head the size of Mars. It's so big his chin is resting on his chest and his belly is poking into the baby on his right. Yes, that is my husband, folks. Monster baby who is of course impossibly cute but also a frightening sight to a woman that might have to birth something like that in a few short months.

I think the last baby on the far left is like, 'Dude....get me away from baby Nate! He's going to eat me!' And that is why she is crying.
fat nate is the one in the bright blue
Just for fun, look at the tiny girl in pink then really quickly look over at Nate. Then compare. I wonder which mother felt better after their labor....?


But then again, who could be afraid of this little face? Well, 'little' isn't the right word but you know what I mean.
baby nate

so yeah. The picture of all the babies on the couch is one of my faves of all times. Also, that is the visual that popped into my head when I found out I was pregnant.

An 11 pound baby. Geez Louise. Practically a freaking bowling ball popping out of my lady parts, huh?

Can't wait. :)

20 comments:

  1. Don't worry too much! I think that you'll have a nice, average size little guy. or gal.

    Can you doc monitor you for that sort of thing? I know that trying to predict weight from ultrasound is notoriously inaccurate, but they can try to predict...

    Also, please have a girl, so I can buy you girlie things. I mean, I could buy Ryan girlie things, but I think that Jake might have me shot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy big babies Batman! Nate was huge. My husband was also a 10 pounder, so I had the same fears! Luckily I had two normal sized babes, both by c-section.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, honey, I hear you. Thankfully, my mom had two "normal" sized 7 pound babies before two 10 pound ones (including my only brother with a 20" inch head), and I think the fact that I'm having a girl is a plus. But, my husband, he was 10 lbs. and my MIL had an almost 13 pound baby!!! I'm going to let that one sink in...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes. I would cry if my baby was over 10 pounds. Ouchie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hubs was 12 pounds!!!! I'm totally scared too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have those same fears all the time...mostly because I was over 10 pounds and my kid brother was almost 10 pounds THREE WEEKS EARLY! Holy terrified.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Julia,
    I weighed 9 lbs 2 ozs at birth, but my son weighed 8 lbs 3 ounces. Needless to say the size of my son's head has been off the charts since birth, but that is a topic for another time. {{His body didn't catch up proportionally until age 2}}

    In the moment of birth, the last thing on your mind is the size of your baby. You're so caught up in the moment, in the perfection of your child, in the bliss that you and the love of your life created such beauty ... it will render you speechless. And you will feel so proud that you accomplished such a feat. I am still amazed by my own experience, and as you document your pregnancy on your blog, I get more and more excited for you. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husbands mom had to have a c-section because he was so big *gulp* Every male in their family is over 6 feet tall *double gulp*

    I completely understand your fear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the picture of all the babies! I feel for you if you have a big baby like that. I was almost a 10 pounder, but my 3 brothers were all smaller. So there is hope! My teeny tiny SIL though? She weighed about 110 before she got pregnant and then had a baby that was 10 1/2 pounds. Could you imagine giving birth to something that is 10% of your own body weight? Holy crap! Not to scare you, but they had to break my nephew's collarbone to get him out he was so big. Poor kid literally ripped SIL a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I weighed so much when I was born (also around 10#) that I was dubbed the Michelin Tire baby. There was a kid in the next room over who weighed in at almost 14# though, so he won the trophy for the day. My mom's advice to people with enormous infants is to never forget the stroller.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't worry, nowadays they track taht sort of thing and if it's looking like it will be a big baby they can always induce you early! My mom always had her babies early (either 3 weeks of 9 days) and the first time she went to four days early she had a 10+ pounder! Needless to say the next time she got close to four days she took castor oil to induce labor early and managed to have an 8 pounder instead. :) There's always hope!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW he was a big baby. Funny post too, made me laugh. I hope for the mom's sake (being you) that baby is an average 6-8 lb range.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness. Baby Nate was huge...and adorable. I love the comparison of Baby Nate and the little girl in pink. Seriously, she was half his size!

    I'm sure you'll do great when the time comes for birthing your little one. And I completely agree with Meg...never forget the stoller! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That picture of all the babies is hilarious! Such a great idea. I love the yellow onesie baby that can't keep it's head up. LOL!

    Hopefully you guys will have an average size little one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband had a giant head too.. makes me a little nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That picture of all the babies is so precious! And hilarious what a chunkster Nate was!!

    I, too, am afraid of having a large baby, but what can ya do?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW. My nephew and the only birth I actually witnessed was 10lbs 8 ounces. And holy hell I was crying for her. Good Luck lady!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read this out loud to Tony. He's sorry for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Don't worry so much yet...I weighed 7.14 when I was born and my hubby was 8.15. I'm 5'11" and he's 6'3". Needless to say, I was concerned we'd have a big baby! But my OB reassured me that most babies take after the mom.

    Seven days ago I delivered (vaginally) an adorably teeny 7 lb, 3 oz and 20 1/4 inch long perfect baby boy, Grant. ALL of the clothes I had purchased for him were HUGE. I have had to go out and buy a whole new newborn wardrobe. So don't freak out yet...your little one could very easily be teeny tiny as well! Best wishes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are effing hilarious!! You'll be FINE!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. Sorry that commenting through Blogger can be a royal pain. I'm glad you are commenting despite that, and please email me if you are having issues.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...