Eight weeks

My baby boy is 8 weeks old today and this is also my last day being 28 years old. Tomorrow is my big 2-9 and I'm planning on holding steady in my twenties for a few more years after that somehow:) I'm pretty sure having a baby has accelerated the aging process for me and I think I found a few gray hairs already and he's not even a teenager yet. Oy.

So baby Truman is a big boy now and SO mature it's sickening. One night I randomly thought out loud about when it would be appropriate to start using our play yard and Nate thought we should just try it out right then. Sure enough, Truman is OBSESSED with it. Like, he can stay under there for almost a full hour at his best and at least 20 minutes even when he's on the verge of a nap. It's so cute to see him staring up at his new animal friends and at that cute baby in the mirror. I swear this boy is getting happier by the day and I just love it.

IMG_8774

IMG_8769

IMG_8768

Also, this week I noticed that his hair is falling out in very odd spots. Like the top of his head and a strip on the side. I have a feeling we are going to have a bald baby on our hands soon with a few patches of long hair in the back like a mullet. Can't wait for his redneck side to emerge!

Little redneck had his first cold this week and it was much harder on me than him. He was all congested and had red watery eyes and poor baby could barely breathe through his thick boogies lodged in his nose. The doctor's office felt confident that it was just a cold since he didn't have a fever or any other symptoms, so they suggested saline drops in the nose with the booger-sucker. Let me just tell you that Mr. T is mortal enemies with anything shot into his nose. He HATED it but it worked and he's doing much better now. Poor thing--I hated to see him sick, and in fact I even came down with a sympathy cold myself. Fun times, I tell you!

(with the red, watery eyes...poor Truman!)
IMG_8593

He's smiling a ton now and I don't have to work quite as hard to produce that gummy grin I love so much. There is nothing like seeing his face light up with a huge smile. It makes my day every time and I can't wait for his giggle to appear next. Oh, what fun days we are in right now....I promise I'm not taking a second for granted and I'm still forcing myself to stop and breathe in the moment before it passes. Being present for each day is allowing my maternity leave to pass by at an acceptable pace instead of vanishing before my eyes and I'm not letting myself think too far ahead to the future when these magical days are done, and I return to work. Nope, not gonna think about that just yet (but it will be on May 21 if you are interested).
IMG_8781

As far as sleeping and a routine goes, well it's still all over the place. For every time that he puts himself to sleep without any help from me there is at least one time that I have to pull out the entire bag of tricks just to get the boy some shut-eye. For every awesome 2-3 hour daytime nap there is at least one time where he'll sleep for 10 minutes and wake up totally cranky. For every night when he goes an awesome stretch of 5 hours (5.5 is his record right now), there are the nights when he's up after 2 hours ready to rip. So basically, he's still just 8 weeks old and although we have a few general patterns we are nowhere near a solid routine. And honestly I'm totally fine with that right now and I'm enjoying figuring out what works and doesn't work for little man.

IMG_8813

I am considering the dreaded move into his crib, however. I mean, he's going to bed a little earlier than Nate and I lately---around 9 or so---and he's making it for at least 4 hours that first stretch of the night. It would be really nice to plop him into his crib in his room then have the first part of the night with it just being Nate and I before I wake up and feed him. We'll see how this week goes but I'm thinking about trialing it this upcoming weekend for at least the first half of the night. He really despises naps in his crib, though, so I'm worried he won't dig it one bit.

IMG_8787

Overall, T-man is still a happy little baby. He used to hate baths and diaper changes but he loves both now. He is content just staring out his favorite window in our family room or looking up at my photo gallery wall above the couch. Lots of times he'll just be talking to himself and smiling up a storm for no reason at all. And this boy likes to cuddle with mom in his Moby or Bjorn during the day so I'm soaking it in as much as I can:) Oh, and of course his favorite hobby is still nursing which continues to go well for us and it's even taking him less time to finish a session compared to his old ways of sucking for seriously an hour total. I'm really liking these 'quick' 30 minute sessions at night now and I'm told it continues to get more efficient and quick. We are very blessed with a relatively calm baby and I hope it all continues to go this well!

IMG_8802

Of course, I have a few worries despite how well things are going. For instance, whenever Truman is crying and we can't calm him down with our bag of tricks I always resort to nursing him which ALWAYS works (thank goodness). But I worry that when I return to work he's going to really miss nursing during the day and will be inconsolable. Nate watched T for 2 hours one morning while I visited with friends and I guess T was totally out of sorts and sobbed most of the time, which breaks my heart. Nate pulled out all the stops and nothing worked, not even a nice 3 ounce bottle. I really think T just wanted the comfort of nursing and I wasn't there so he freaked. I hope and pray he is able to hang for a whole day without his favorite boobies or else he might be screaming his head off more than he has in his entire life that first day. I guess only time will tell and maybe by then he will be more independent and perhaps he'll finally take a pacifier at that point, to help with the soothing. We shall see.

(cool new hat from Kim, straight out of South Korea! Our guy is so well traveled and worldly, isn't he?)
IMG_8851

(I love this face and his fatness here)
IMG_8857

(maybe my new favorite pic, even though it's out of focus. He was laughing at Nate here)

IMG_8862

So other than my birthday tomorrow and some dinner plans with hubby the whole week is pretty much wide open, prime for Truman and Mommy time. Just how I like it. Cannot believe he's almost two months old in some ways, and in others it was like a lifetime ago when I had him. What did we do with ourselves before this little dude was here? :)

20 comments:

  1. Happy early birthday! Mine is tomorrow as well :-)

    Your little guy is such a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. he's so precious! love the updates on him and love his little karaoke shirt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy early birthday!

    Random that you go back on a Friday--our pay periods are Friday through Thursday so they always have us do weird things like that. Makes no sense to me. :)

    That hat is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baby colds are the worst, it really is heartbreaking to see your baby sick when there isn't much you can do to help

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe how big he is getting! He is so stinkin' cute! I absolutely adore the karaoke shirt!

    Happy early birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just to calm your fears - he will be more independent by the time you return to work. I saw a big change in Isaac at around 9 or 10 weeks. :)

    happy bday tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw a big change in Henry around 9 or 10 weeks, so you are closer to a more constant routine.

    That is the cutest play yard I have ever seen.

    Happy Birthday tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing his personality develop week after week in these photos. Too cute!

    Happy early birthday! Enjoy the last year of your 20's....although I hear the 30's are pretty dang cool too :) And I'm right behind ya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That play yard is adorable! Where did you find that cute number? Hope that you have a beautiful Birthday! Enjoy dinner out with the hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable pics! Hope you have a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pictures of little Truman. He is such a sweetheart.

    Happy birthday too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I believe that you ran a lot before Truman. Seems like a good trade to me. haha. :)

    Babies love those mirrors. Those are still a big source of entertainment over here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all of Truman's pictures. He's getting so big!!!

    Happy early birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know how I found your blog, but I love it! I love hearing all about what it's like to be a new mom. (can't wait until it's MY turn!) Anyways, your play jungle was super cute, where did you get that? Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, ladies!

    Our activity gym is from Babies R Us and it's by Infantino. I admit, I registered for it based solely on looks b/c the patterns were so cute. Some of those gyms are hideous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely LOVE that playmat too! Cute pattern and everything! Love it! Plus the price is good... I'm sure most people that saw it here first are just bummed it's out of stock at babies r us! :)

    Can't believe it's been 8 weeks already!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG, that little nose (especially in that 5th picture where he is on the couch looking up) is just too much for words. So, so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday! April 27 is a popular day because two close friends also have birthdays today. Enjoy your last year in your 20's and trust me....30 isn't so bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. T-bird is getting sooo big! He's totally squishable and cuter than words. I love love love this stage. Enjoy it while it lasts! Grow too darn fast... speaking of growing, you should do a picture collage similar to what you did for your pregnancy. You know, compare pics at newborn, 1 month, 2 months, etc. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. He is too darn cute!!!!

    Don't fret about moving him to his crib. He may start sleeping a little longer throughout the night because you won't hear his every whimper. I would suggest not even using a baby monitor at night. You and Nate will sleep better and believe me T-man will let you know when he needs something.

    Hope you have a Subarashii birthday

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. Sorry that commenting through Blogger can be a royal pain. I'm glad you are commenting despite that, and please email me if you are having issues.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...