Cloth Diapering: Pre-folds (and other random stuff)

I promised to post pictures of 'before' and 'after' for prepping my cloth diapering prefolds. It's a pretty incredible transformation, actually. Here are my 36 newborn size diapers before: stiff, starchy, and pretty darn thin:
IMG_7161

And here are the bad boys after 5 wash/dry cycles: fat, fluffy, and incredibly soft. I seriously think they tripled in size. Just look at that stack now!
IMG_7182

They became nice and quilted, ready to absorb poo and pee from our little man!
IMG_7183
So a little more information on prefolds in general for you:

There are Chinese and Indian prefolds, which can be either bleached or unbleached. For the record, I chose Indian unbleached organic prefolds:)

Chinese versus Indian: what's the difference?

-Indian prefolds are softer, more absorbent, and made of gauze cotton. They might wear out faster than Chinese pf, but a couple of sites I visited have begun only listing Indian prefolds because they are top of the line. They are a little more expensive than Chinese pfs.

-Chinese prefolds have heavy duty stitching, are made of twill, and would probably stay nicer longer than Indian pfs. However, they may pill more and are much rougher than Indians although they cost a little bit less.

Bleached versus Unbleached: what's the difference?

-bleached prefolds are bright white, from an actual bleaching process of the fibers or perhaps through a more 'natural' peroxide wash. They have been 'degummed' as well and are somewhat cheaper than unbleached. You'll need to wash these about 3-4 cycles before using them.

-unbleached prefolds are light tan in color and have not been processed to make them white. They need to be 'degummed' because they still have some oils in their fibers, so you'll need to do at least 5 washes on them before using.


Then here is a copy from my nine page document on where to buy prefolds. Again, we went with Green Mountain but there are numerous other places out there, too. I just like comparing shipping costs and actual costs before making decisions:)

1. Storkwearhouse (free ship > $75)
⁃ cloth-eez chinese bleached: dozen=$28.80 plus ship ($3 each)

2. Wallypop (will wash for $10 extra first)
⁃ chinese DSQ bleached 'infant': dozen=$20.50 plus ship
⁃ chinese DSQ bleached 'premium': dozen=$24.50 plus ship

3. A Diaper Change (free ship >$50)
⁃ chinese bleached 'infant': dozen=20.50 plus 3 ship
⁃ Chinese bleached 'premium': dozen=28.50
⁃ Indian unbleached 'infant': dozen=21.50
⁃ Indian unbleached 'premium': dozen=29.50

4. Little Lions (free ship > $90, $6.95 flat rate otherwise) **cheapest**
⁃ indian bleached 'infant': dozen=$16.15
⁃ indian unbleached 'infant': dozen=$16.15 (seconds=$13.00)
⁃ indian bleached 'premium': dozen=$18
⁃ indian unbleached 'premium': dozen =$18

5. Cotton Babies (free ship >$75, in STL)
⁃ doesn't do it by the dozen. Chinese 1.50-2.00 each, Indian 1.00-2.00 each

6. Cloth Diaper Outlet (free ship >$50)
⁃ chinese bleached 'infant' dozen=$1.90 each, $22.80
⁃ chinese bleached 'premium' dozen=$2.65 each, $31.80
⁃ indians unbleached 'infant' dozen=$2.15 each, $25.80
⁃ indians unbleached 'premium' dozen=$2.90 each, $34.80

7. Green Mountain
⁃ cloth-eez white/chlorine-free (already degummed) OR unbleached Indian 'newborn orange' $1.75 each, $21.00 dozen. For the 'organic' dozen is $25.
⁃ cloth-eez white/chlorine-free(already degummed) OR unbleached Indian 'medium red' $2.25 each, $27.00 dozen. For the 'organic' dozen is $35

8. Abby's Lane (free shipping!)
⁃ Indian unbleached infant dozen=$27.99
⁃ Indian unbleached premium dozen=$36.50

9. Ebay: Granite Smith (free shipping on covers if > 2 or more dozen prefolds)
-Indian unbleached newborn $18.99 per dozen (ship for 2 doz is $11.99)


Are you absorbing all of this CD information? :)
Onto more fun baby things: the nursery is coming right along! I've been meaning to hang the picture frames in baby's room for a long time now. When I went on my nesting rampage last weekend I broke out the electric drill and attempted to hang a few shelves before Nate returned from his trip. Wouldn't you know it, but I tried to use a dry wall screw anchor for our plaster walls and sure enough--the thing split in two and shot across the room while I tried to secure it into my lovely aqua walls. I could not pull the sucker out and had to wait until my manly husband returned home so he could bail me out. Of course, it took him about two minutes to announce that I was using the wrong type of anchors (who knew?) and he successfully removed the broken one and hung both shelves without problems. Having a man around is pretty handy sometimes:)

And because I have some VERY curious readers out there (ahem, Mom and my family, mostly) I had to be diligent and blur out two of the frames plus the wall letter I painted for the room. But you still get the idea, I'm sure.
IMG_7193

I painted that big fatty polka dotted frame myself, using an old one that was pretty plain and boring. The big vertical blue frame will hold one of those nifty 'birth annoucement' type pieces, with his name, weight, birthday, length, etc all crunched together in cool font. And I still have a few other frames to fill but I'm not too worried about it:)
IMG_7194
Also, please note baby Carlos' giraffe collection. We do love us some giraffes around here!

And finally, would you look at these two hams?
IMG_7186
I just walked into the living room one night to this sight and had to capture it's cuteness on camera.

This weekend my mom is flying in for her last visit with us before baby arrives. We have some fun projects planned but mostly I just want to lounge around with her and have girl time. It's very odd to think that the next time I see my mom will be when they make the 8 hour drive to see us at the hospital. I'm supposed to call when I go into labor and they are going to hop in the car and make the trip up here, meeting us in the hospital. Just thinking about that gives me chills. I seriously cannot wait!

13 comments:

  1. Wow, your nursery is almost done! I'm sure that's a great feeling. It's been fun watching its progress.

    Henry and Nate are very cute :) I always walk into the living room to find Jim and Bailey sprawled out side by side on the couch. Those bums :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how close you are getting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the diapers do fluff up! The nursery looks amazing, Julia. Baby Carlos sure is lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I've been following you for about a couple of weeks and absolutely love your blog. Excited about your weekly pics, too. Before reading this blog, I was reading another almost-parent-blog (done by the dad!) that I thought you'd love to check out. Their baby (gorgeous Tessa) was born already but if you go back into his archives a little you'll see the maternity series he photographed for his wife...gorgoues. Oh! And they're using cloth diapers too...check out fuzzibunz.com. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops, forgot to post his blog link: http://pacingthepanicroom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Baby Carlos' nursery looks great. I love the colors you're using.

    I'm really impressed with how much the CD fluffed up. I've been wondering though...how do you clean CD's?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Julia! So after looking at the nursery photo I noticed the diaper pail and orange wet bag...what diaper pail and or trash can are you using, and where did you find that cute orange wet bag?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your nursery is so stinking cute!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet~thanks for the link. I've read that blog before but never noticed the awesome belly progression pics!

    Mary M~I'll definitely cover washing CD in a post very soon. That is a popular question for sure. :)

    Jessica~diaper pail is just a cheapie regular trash can from Kmart. I got the pail liner as a gift, it's from Blueberry and I love it (well, without using it so far at least).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I might recommend another pail liner -- I like having one to drag everything downstairs and then one to replace; that way, if I'm changing diapers while washing, I don't have to set dirties around. But, that's just me. :)

    Very cute nursery! I love it! It's so bright and fun.

    I can't believe how close you are either -- seems like you were just telling us all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything looks fantastic. Enjoy this weekend with your Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The nursery is so fun! I love the bold color choices and the lanterns in the corner are a nice touch.

    Reading this post makes me realize how little I know about cloth diapering. Thanks for the great info. Maybe I will need it someday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The room is so bright and cheerful! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. Sorry that commenting through Blogger can be a royal pain. I'm glad you are commenting despite that, and please email me if you are having issues.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...