Who else is loving the Boom Boom Pow song lately? Black Eyed Peas are the bomb. This will be a sort of miscellany post for you this fine Monday afternoon....but I really wanted to use the 3008 as a title because I *heart* it. I also *heart* being off on a Monday....don't get too jealous, since I had to work yesterday on Mother's Day. As the ONLY non-mother in my department I had to volunteer for that one and now my Monday is simply divine:) A long run, a long nap, a butt load of coffee, and catching up on everything I didn't do yesterday. Ah, a faux weekend day is just what I needed.
1. Not only am I obsessed with the BEP song but also, we bought the new Silversun Pickups album and holy crap, I love them. Last summer my ultra-hip brother-in-law introduced me to them and I put their song 'Three Seed" on repeat for about four months at a time. Then I heard their new single "Panic Switch" on the radio the other day and decided it was time to invest in their full album, Swoon. It rules, go and buy it right now [that's Swoon on the far right but aren't all of their albums gorge, too?]
They remind me of a mix between Smashing Pumpkins and maybe even a hint of Garbage, but with a sound uniquely their own. "Lazy Eye" from their Carnavas album is probably their most mainstream but honestly, the songs that aren't on the radio are even better.
Two other single song purchases to rave about: "Closer" by Kings of Leon and "Show Me What I'm Looking For" by Carolina Liar. Totally obsessed. Does anyone else get overly into new song purchases like me? Nate thinks I wear them out within a week from playing them too much but I guess that's just my intense nature:)
2. So apparently when I get birthday money, I cannot force myself to buy nice everyday items of clothing. I am in desparate need of Spring and Summer wardrobe staples like shorts, semi-casual tops, and of course I could use a new dress to wear to the multiple weddings we have this summer. But what do I spend my cash on instead? Running clothes, of course. It's become a sickness, really. I.just.can't.stop.
Remember this post from last summer? That is when I first became a believer of Dri-Fit material for running and I said goodbye to rotten cotton forever. But three measly outfits simply would not propel me forward into another summer of marathon training. A girl needs options and now I have them. Please observe:
Outfit #1: Those Nike running shorts everyone seems to have + hot pink Nike tank bought for me by my loving hubby, for my birthday. He knows me so well.
Outfit #2: tight capris bought for me by Nate at Christmas + another pink Nike tank bought with birthday cash. I love the little v-necks on both of these tanks. Tight capris always make me self-conscious about my thighs but they are oh-so-comfy.
Outfit #3: my new gray Nike running skort + 'long' blue Nike tank bought with Mom's birthday cash. LOVE. More on this one in a bit.
Outfit #4: my old Nike running skort [not new but still a fave] + light purple PADDED tank from Eddie Bauer, of all places. Nate got me this one for Valentines day. Who knew EB had workout clothes? And a padded tank is just what the doctor ordered for nipping out, my friends. Totally comfy, too.
Okay, so I know skorts are quite controversial in some running circles. You all know my love affair with my original black Nike skort, right? Well, I was reading up on the newest version on the Nike site and there were all kinds of mixed reviews from buyers. I heard a lot of girls whine about how short this new one is, and how it gives you love handles, and it's way too tight. I figured, What the Heck? It can't be much shorter than the old one, can it? What do you think?
I ran 8.5 miles in it today and I will admit, it felt a little skimpy at first. And maybe a little tighter around my hips but there are shorts under there, you know, so it's not like you might flash hoo-ha on accident. It was very comfortable to run in and I will be keeping it for sure, but just in case I asked Nate if he thought it was an inappropriate length. I didn't want to look like a total prostitute running down the road but he assured me it wasn't as scandalous as I thought. I think he just likes how my butt looks in it, so his opinion is biased:)
3. While drinking heavily at Kristen's wedding we discovered a new favorite beer. Imagine our delight when we found it at a local grocery store, too! Mmmmm, it's so amazing.
4. I am not joking when I say that Milwaukee JUST accepted the fact that May is halfway over. About two weeks ago, everything started greening up around here and actual flower blossoms came out to play. About freaking time, don't you think? Only about 2 months behind St. Louis, of course. I used to assume that June meant Summer but right now I'm settling for Spring. Did I ever mention that it's been a long winter? My favorite trees shed a lot but are so pretty:
Tulips! Actual tulips!
Trees with real, living leaves on them!
So many photographic opportunities, so little time.
So yeah, I just switched out all of my winter coats, hats/gloves, and sweaters to my Spring/Summer wardrobe. It's always a little disheartening to find that your wardrobe blows, don't you think?
5. Nate is taking one of his last finals right now. One more on Wednesday and then he's off until 5/26. I cannot believe he has three whole semesters under his belt. Only six more to go, people. One year down, two more left. However you want to look at it......time is flying by and Nate is kicking major PT booty. So proud of my little student. Can't wait for him to have free time in the evenings again. And let's not forget about our anniversary trip to Chicago....holla!