Wannabe Foodie

I'm only posting this because I want to be like Sharon and other foodie bloggers:) I don't have any real recipes to share.....except for this one. Nate started making this homemade granola a few months ago and it took me awhile to fall in love, but now I'm a goner. I could eat this stuff three times a day and not get sick of it.

Now I know what you are thinking: Granola? Really? Talk about your stereotypical tree hugger grub. But once you try it I think you'll agree that this is the best snack/breakfast ever. Did you hear that challenge? :)

So, ingredients:
  • 2 cups Rolled Oats [not the instant kind]
  • 1 cup of almonds [pre-sliced are way easier, as an FYI]
  • 1/4 cup of sesame seeds [optional]
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 cup of wheat germ AND/OR flax seed [this is where it gets really healthy!]
  • 1/2 cup coconut
  • 1/2 cup of raisins [but don't dump them in yet!]
  • 1/2 cup of other dried fruit [our faves are orange flavored cranberries]
  • scant 1/4 cup of cooking oil [I'll explain later]
  • 1/2 cup of honey
  • vanilla extract to taste
Mix oats, all nuts, vanilla and grains into a large bowl. Then comes the 'scant' part of the oil: measure the oil then swirl it around the sides of the scoop before pouring it out. Now measure your honey in the same scoop and it will pop right out! How sweet is this?
Then mix it all around a little bit more. Get out your baking pan and pop it into the oven set at 300 degrees. You are going to bake it in 10 minute intervals and will stir in between to avoid burning your oats. The total time is 30 mintues.
When it's finished baking, pull it out and mix in the dried fruit. Let it set and cool before eating it [if you have that kind of will power].

My favorite kind of granola is in a bowl with Soy Milk. It's so freaking good!
Now my batch got a tad burnt and I'm not proud of it. It was supposed to be a Kansas batch sent to Keri but now I'll just have to eat the bad batch and make another! :)

And another thing--do you realize that they sell stuff like this for an absurd price at the grocery store? That Bear Naked brand must make a killing on their granola. Hmmmm, maybe Nate should go into business, too?

Enjoy!
[P.S I'm loving this blogger schedule option. I can write a bunch of posts when I have time and then spread them out over a few days. Fabulous!]
{P.P.S. We don't leave until Wednesday morning so you haven't seen the last of my posts just yet!}

10 comments:

  1. 1. That looks really, really good! Thanks for sharing the recipe, I think we'll have to try it. Oh, and I have those same bowls, I think.

    2. The blog looks AWESOME. Great job.

    3. I looked at your blog list and I thought I hadn't made the cut. It made me sad. But then I saw you put me under Half the Fun - whew! It's actually still Something To Look Forward To, but NO biggie ... I'm just glad I'm still on your blogroll. ;)

    4. Have a wonderful trip. Can't wait to hear about it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks sooo good!! I'm definitely trying it, I'll let you know how it goes.
    And your blog looks great! Wanna re-do mine? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. re: #3 - thanks for switching it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos to you. I can't get on the granola train for the life of me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The granola looks awesome! I went to the website and it is so great. You did a fabulous job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This recipe looks awsome! I love healthy cereal but hate paying for it. Can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good, thanks for the recipe!
    Also, your website looks great! Best of luck with the new business!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know if you consume soy milk a lot or not, but it's really bad when consumed regularly by women. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0887/is_11_24/ai_n15895623
    Just google women and soy and you find tons of stories about how bad it is for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks really good! When I start to add carbs back to my diet, I think I'll make a batch of this. I bet it would be really good in some yogurt. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...and now a food blogger? Julia, you never cease to amaze me :) Great job! I love granola.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. Sorry that commenting through Blogger can be a royal pain. I'm glad you are commenting despite that, and please email me if you are having issues.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...