Oatmeal Breakfast Bake | Recipe

I've had several requests to post the oatmeal recipe I raved about in my Day in the Life.  This is one that Nate got from a co-worker, and we modified it slightly. It's so filling and delicious, I highly recommend if you want to stay full until lunch time and not stalk the clock like I sometimes do for my next meal. The kids will even eat it (without raisins, also they don't love the giant walnuts). Plus, my mom and also my sister-in-law are gluten free, and we made a huge batch for them over the holidays. A huge hit!! We probably could have made more for them and both took the recipe home, too.

YUM.
All Photos-96

How do we like to eat it? We prefer to take a square of the oatmeal, put it in a bowl, and pop it in the microwave for 1:30. Then we add a ton of grass-fed butter and maple syrup on top. I also like to add a half of a banana or blueberries to the dish, or sometimes I'll smash it up and add milk to it like a true baked oatmeal cereal.

I am obviously a food blogger with professional pictures.
All Photos-98

I have no idea if you can print this off or not, give it a shot I guess?

Oatmeal Breakfast Bake
This recipe makes 12 squares in a 9x13 pan.

Read through entire recipe as you will need to soak oats and groats overnight, or at least 6-8 hours.

Ingredients:
5 c lb rolled oats ( NOT quick cooking oats)
1/4 c buckwheat groats (help make oats more digestible)*
1 T plain full fat yogurt (or coconut kefir if dairy free)
2 cups full fat milk (or coconut milk for dairy free) 

6 large eggs (preferably pastured and organic)
2 T Pumpkin Pie seasoning
2-3 T maple syrup

3 T chia seeds
1 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
2 T ground flax seed
1 t sea salt
1/3 c coconut oil or butter, melted
1 c pecans or walnut
1/2 c raisins, cranberries or currants


Place oats, buckwheat groats(recipe will work without these if you can’t find), and yogurt in a large glass bowl and cover with warm water. Let stand on counter for at least 6 hours. We do this overnight if we can remember to plan ahead.

After oats are soaked, preheat oven to 350 degrees convection (or not, we just like it better), place in colander and drain, but do not rinse.

Add milk, eggs and the rest of ingredients except nuts and fruit back into large bowl and mix thoroughly. Add oats back into bowl along with nuts.



Add fruit and stir to combine. Pour into a greased 9 X13 baking pan. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until it is browned and fluffy.

Cool and cut into 12 squares and refrigerate or freeze for future. ENJOY!


*Buckwheat groats help to reduce the phytic acid on the oats as they soak overnight, which makes the grains more digestible. They are available at most health food stores or online, we found them at Outpost and also our local grocery store. Also, they are gluten free and make us feel super healthy. 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you! So excited to try these. It sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the texture like? I wish I loved oatmeal but I just cannot get past the texture of it...way too snotty.😬 But this looks like maybe it's not really like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not slimy, it's pretty fluffy and dry---you can make it more watered down but it's really not!

      Delete
  3. I wonder if this could be converted to instant pot?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I'm straight up obsessed with this stuff. I've made it three times already. I eat it with frozen blueberries or raspberries and whole milk or greek yogurt and stay full 'til lunch. Then I sometimes eat it for lunch too. Thanks so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. Sorry that commenting through Blogger can be a royal pain. I'm glad you are commenting despite that, and please email me if you are having issues.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...