St. Louie, here I come

As you read this, I'm probably on the road to St. Louis. I'm driving all 6 hours by myself [gasp!] in Nate's car [double gasp!] because he convinced me that his gas mileage will save us lots of money. Works every time:)

I cannot wait to walk in the Race for the Cure Saturday morning. Can you believe that there are almost 60,000 participants signed up for this race? Amazing. I'm sure it's going to be an awesome experience.

Not to mention that Keri will be there. And my St. Louis friends. And hopefully some nice Missouri sunshine. AND I only have to work a half day on Friday [whoo hoo!].

I will come back bearing pictures, but I wanted to leave you a link to explore if you dare. In honor of breast cancer and the thousands of women battling this horrendous disease, I think you should read this blog called Punk Rock Mommy. I am warning you right now, it's heart breaking and probably not for everyone.

Andrea is a mother of six [!] children. She has been battling inflammatory breast cancer for almost a year now. Unfortunately, she just found out that the cancer has spread and her days on earth are limited. I cannot imagine what she is feeling right now, nor her family, but my heart goes out to her. She writes her story so beautifully and every post captures me, pulls me in, and makes me want to cry and scream. It's kind of like the Matt, Liz and Madeline blog because it's so incredibly sad....and yet inspiring, and addicting at the same time.

So I've warned you. Read if you are feeling particularly strong today. Scroll down a few posts to read her thoughts from the moment she discovered the cancer had spread. I apologize for leaving you with such a downer post, but it's something I felt the need to share.

So remember to enjoy this weekend, breathe some fresh air, and don't take anything for granted. Life is too short. Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. Oh my god that blog is... something that I can't put into words. Thanks for sharing it, even though I can only read a paragraph at a time and then I have to take a break or risk bawling my eyes out at work. My heart breaks with trying to understand what that must feel like, or what I would do in that situation. What an amazing woman, to but that out in the blogosphere.

    On a slightly happier note, maybe we could get a group together for Milwaukee's September Komen Race. A Blogger reunion GTG? Although I personally will be WALKING. I am no runner.

    And on a much happier note, I hope you have a great time with your friends and sunshine this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really am speechless after reading some of Punk Mom's blog. What a freaking reality check. She is an amazing person. Thank you so much Julia for posting the link. Have a safe trip to St. Louis and give Keri a BIG hug for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be downtown walking. Maybe I will see you...but probably not. I would love to meet Keri. There are so many people down there it is crazy! You have never seen anything like it! I think this is my 10th or 11th time going! Have so much fun and hopefully this beautiful weather will continue. Have a safe ride :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know you were comi ng down for the Race! I will be walking in honor of Keri, too. Please give her a great big hug from me too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have a good time at the walk. I hope the weather cooperates! I really wanted to participate, but I had booked a wedding before I saw the date of the walk. Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to do the walk, get home, get showered and ready, and get to the wedding on time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, thanks for sharing that blog. It's so incredibly sad yet necessary to put life into perspective.

    Have fun this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i second tasha's idea- i would totally love to do a walk- i am also no runner :0) what a wonderful GTG idea!

    have a great time with your friends hun! say hi to keri for us!

    :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Julia,

    Our Relay for Life event is next weekend. I wanted you to know we have a special ceremony in honor of cancer patients everywhere in which we light luminaria bags and the names are read. I will have pictures on Tuesday the 30th. But Keri's name will be on one of those bags, and her name will be read with all those we're honoring for fighting such a horrible disease.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like the weather was gorgeous for the event! I hope your trip to St. Louis is fabulous and be safe driving back!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. Sorry that commenting through Blogger can be a royal pain. I'm glad you are commenting despite that, and please email me if you are having issues.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...