She got her test results back:
- PET scan was negative.
- CT scan was inconclusive. There were two microscopic areas in her lung that might be metastases but her doctor is not going to treat her cancer any differently. He is still giving her the category of Stage 3 and will still treat the cancer in the same manner. After a few rounds of chemotherapy, they will re-scan the lung. If those areas shrink, they are mets. But again, he's still calling this Stage 3 for now.
- This means she can freeze her eggs!!!!
- So she starts her fertility drugs today. She is just BARELY hitting this window of opportunity with her cycle, time needed to harvest eggs, and pending chemo. This is a huge blessing, you guys. Thank you to the Big Guy upstairs.
- Her chemo has to begin much sooner than originally planned, because if she does have metastases, they have to be even more aggressive. She has to begin by April 28 instead of waiting five more weeks.
- That means she'll be going through chemo when Allison and I visit which is fine by me because we get to be caregivers! You know we love that stuff. And maybe we can help pick out her pimptastic new wigs!
- Still no results from the genetic tests. However, it will not change her immediate treatment course either way. If she does have the gene, they will still need to remove her ovaries soon. Her frozen eggs would be tested for the defective gene before progressing to the next step. She said they can still fertilize them, and possibly use a surrogate if Keri cannot carry the embryos. But the jury is still out on this one. It's amazing what modern science can do these days.
- Egg harvesting means $10,000 in costs---at least---not covered by insurance.
- I'm making something right now, which I will share soon, to inspire everyone to donate towards this deserving cause.
As Keri said, "There really isn't a perfect happy solution but right now, I'm pretty excited about the chance at freezing eggs."
Go go, Ker. And now we can breathe a little easier.