Because I like projects

Sometimes I wonder if I have too many hobbies, too many projects, that possibly contribute to my general sense of being overwhelmed at times. But then I think of one more thing I NEED to do and the list just gets longer.

My newest idea? Making a fabric covered headboard. I've always wanted a real, grown up bed but figured we should wait until we have a house to really settle into the "adult bed" idea. Don't ask me why, that's just how I think. But then I started toying with the idea of making my own headboard for a temporary solution and found this link:

http://blissfulbegonia.wordpress.com/2007/11/04/how-to-make-a-fabric-covered-headboard/


Very helpful and inspiring. I'd totally make mine some sort of textured white fabric to match the curtains and duvet cover. It's going to be fabulous. Then I scoured the internet for some store-bought beds for ideas. Here is one from JCPenney that I like a lot:
That is basically a headboard with covered rails for the sides. I could totally do that, right? And voila, there is a fabric covered bed for us to enjoy before we buy a real wooden bed. We'll see if this all pans out. Because I totally forgot to announce that my wonderful Mom is coming up for an Artic visit in three weeks! She is coming for a three day weekend and plans on doing crafts and projects with her only daughter as we catch up on some much needed girl time. She may even bring her sewing machine in case we decide to whip up some curtains...but now I'm thinking we could make a headboard. Who knows what we'll create!

So yeah, my project list is a little bit much:

~decorate the whole duplex
~finish the kitchen
~fully unpack
~find room for all of our stuff
~make a headboard
~learn how to sew
~then sew some curtains
~learn photoshop
~then design our wedding album
~start a scrapbooking side business
~train for a full marathon
~keep up with the internet world [blogging, email, myspace, facebook]
~be a good wife [meaning, take time for my husband amongst this madness]
~be a good mommy to Henry [meaning take the poor guy outside even when it's sinfully cold]
~get regular with church-going
~plan a kick arse vacation
~oh and of course work full time, and then some, because we have to pay the bills somehow!

Whew. It's all fun and good stuff but I need to pace myself, too. Otherwise the inevitable "Julia freak out" is going to hit hard.

11 comments:

  1. Julia,

    I totally make lists too! We just finished doing all the baseboards in our house this weekend and we are about to start finishing the basement...there is NO end to home improvement!

    Try these for headboard ideas:

    1 - Headboard with Monogram:
    http://www.myhomeideas.com/myhome/photos/0,30587,1029902_822705,00.html
    Instructions here: http://www.southernliving.com/southern/homes/decorating/article/0,28012,466070-2,00.html
    2 - Headboard made out of a screen
    http://www.myhomeideas.com/myhome/photos/0,30587,1029902_822708,00.html

    Looking forward to see the final project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia,
    You could totally make a fabric headboard. My dad and I made one for my bedroom at his house. It was really pretty easy and didn't take near as long as we'd expected. It is brown suede and we did matching suede buttons in the middle to give it texture... I wish it was for my bed in my house! :)wqucfvjz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the headboard idea! I hope you decide to go through with it so you can share your tips:) And I would pick a bed out just like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVE fabric covered headboards. I love the way they look and how they add a really personal touch to the room. I like the fact that you can pick any color and/or pattern and it will make your room look that much more sophisticated! And being Ms. Crafty that you are, will definitely be the one to do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't know you were part of the blogging world...glad I found ya! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you. Totally over the top with my "to-do" list. But I find that's what keeps me going. I'm seem to fall into some sort of gloom when nothing exciting is going on.

    Can't wait to see the headboard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can make the headboard....I made one a few years ago for my sister. GO FOR IT! Can't wait to see the finished product.
    And good luck with your project list..it made me tired just reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had your talent! I had plica removed and I had a microfracture...pretty painful! I'm doing pretty good, probably b/c my PT is kicking my butt! It's from all those kills during JC volleyball! =) By the way, Henry is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First, LOVE the fabric headboard. We thought about that for our house, but obviously decided otherwise. It will look great!

    Second, I think we just thrive on doing things. Reading your post, I felt like I was reading a post about me. I am constantly coming up with more things I need to do, and even if I tried to write the list down, I would inevitably forget something. Good luck with everything and just remember to enjoy life as you live it now, because you never get this time back! But, hey, that doesn't mean you can't enjoy a life full of projects... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Julia,

    We came up with making the exact same type of headboard for the same reason. Needing something temporary till we buy a house but tired of not having a "grown up bed". We are planning to do ours in white on white damask (if I can find it again) with a black frame.

    I saw a show with one made and they used peg board instead of plywood because the holes were already made for the tufting.

    Can't wait to see the outcome of yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. Sorry that commenting through Blogger can be a royal pain. I'm glad you are commenting despite that, and please email me if you are having issues.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...